Modification Of Child Support

As a general proposition, child support can be modified either upward or downward, only if an unreasonable or unanticipated change in circumstances has occurred. The primary concern with regards to child support is the best interest of the children in question. Thus, even if there is a Court order, either in the form of a separation agreement which was merged into an order, or simply an order regarding child support, a parent can petition the Court for a modification. When considering whether to modify child support, the Court will consider the assets, earnings and obligations of the supporting spouse as well as the financial status of the custodial spouse. Unless there has been an unanticipated and unreasonable change in circumstances, the Court will not change the support order. Factors to be considered by the Court include whether increases of expenses were foreseeable at the time the Court originally made the support order. If the expenses were foreseeable at the time the order was decided and the Court deems that the order was fair and equitable at the time the order was made, you may not get a modification.

What will the Court use to determine if a modification is appropriate? The Court will look to: (1) whether the increased needs of the children are due to special circumstances or to the additional activities of growing children; (2) whether there is an increased cost of living which results in a greater expense for the children; (3) was there a loss of income or assets by a parent or substantial improvement of the financial condition of a parent; and (4) the current and prior life styles of the children. If after the Court considers these factors, it deems that there should be a modification of child support, the Court will utilize the Child Support Standards Act to calculate the appropriate level of child support, and whether there should be a deviation of said support. A downward modification of child support is carefully scrutinized since the primary concern is the best interests of the children. Thus, if you are attempting a downward modification, you must show an unanticipated and unreasonable change in circumstances otherwise the court will in all likelihood deny your request.

Word of caution: If you lost your job through no fault of your own, i.e. you were terminated as a result of cut backs, or your boss simply let you go, the Court will take that into consideration when calculating child support. If however, you purposefully lost your job, i.e. you quit or you took another job to lower your income and thus lower your child support payments, the Court may impute income to you. In other words, you were making $100,000.00 and you quit your job and now you are making $50,000.00. If the Court determines that you did this to lower your child support obligations, the Court may award child support award based on the $100,000.00 salary regardless of what you are currently earning. The key determination surrounding your loss of income will be how it happened. If you simply quit your job or, as in a recent case of mine, decided to follow your passion and embarked on a new career, one that decreased your salary by $40,000.00, the Court may not grant your modification request.

Learning Point: Modification of child support will be considered keeping the best interest of the children in the forefront of the Court’s mind. Adequate preparation in showing the Court that there has been a significant change in circumstances warranting the Court to modify a current order providing for child support. A downward modification will be given close scrutiny. Preparation and presentation will be crucial in your attempts to convince a Court to modify your current child support order.

Speak Your Mind


− 7 = one